You have decided to scrap your old car and realise after searching high and low that you have lost your log book, known as a V5C. It’s common for log books to be misplaced, which can result in threats of fines from the DVLA for mishandling change of ownership and SORN of a vehicle. However, even without a V5C, you can scrap your car.

The Good News

The good news is you do not need a V5C to scrap your car. However, it is a little more difficult to scrap your vehicle without one. 

What to do if you have lost your car log book?

You can always apply for a new one online. A new V5C or duplicate log book can be obtained from the DVLA for around £25. 

To apply for a duplicate log book, you will need:

  • registration number of the vehicle
  • VIN/chassis number of your vehicle
  • name and postcode registered on your previous log book

If your log book needs details updated because you have moved your address or had your name changed, you will need to fill out a form V62 instead. 

However, if you are in a rush to scrap or sell your vehicle you are out of luck. It takes 5 working days for the new V5C to arrive following application.

If you still wish to proceed without one, there are some things you should know before scrapping your car without a log book.

How can I scrap my car without a V5C?

Firstly make sure you scrap your vehicle with an authorised treatment facility (ATF). It is illegal to scrap your vehicle through an unauthorised scrap merchant or individual and you could receive a serious fine. When you scrap your car with an ATF you will receive a certificate of destruction. Certificates of destruction are usually sent out within 7 days. Payment is always made via bank transfer or cheque and never in cash. This is because cash for scrap cars is illegal in England & Wales. 

If you want to scrap your car, you should use our authorised treatment facility. We offer some of the highest prices in the UK for scrap cars. Assington Autos specialise in scrap car collection across Suffolk and Essex. 

If your vehicle is not road worthy because it has: 

  • No insurance
  • No MOT 
  • Statutory off-road notification (SORN)

You must not drive to the scrap yard. You will need to arrange a collection, which can be arranged by calling our experts on 01787 210519.

However, after you have used a scrapping service, you must contact the DVLA so they know you have scrapped your car.

How do I notify DVLA of a scrapped car?

Once your car is scrapped and you have your certificates of destruction, you can then notify the DVLA informing them of the sale to the scrap yard. Normally this is done online when you have a V5C but if you do not have your log book, you will need to write to the DVLA with the following information.

  • Vehicle Registration
  • Make
  • Model
  • Name and address of scrap yard
  • The exact date of sale

Make sure all of the details requested are provided or your notice will not be accepted. Letters are sent to the following address and provided it is all done correctly, that is all you will need to do.

SA99 1BD